Thursday, April 10, 2008

Announcements

1. School's Out for Summer! Well, with all due respect to Alice Cooper, not quite, but I do get a two-week Passover vacation from my Hebrew class starting next week. Of course, being an academic, I'm planning to devote much of that time to work -- more specifically, finishing the revisions on a paper that I've had on my desk since I arrived here in January. And I will also be teaching throughout the summer, from May until August. But I'm excited to get a two-week vacation nonetheless.

2. א. באה לתל–אביב I'm even happier to report that A. (האישה היפה הגאונה שלי) is at last able to come to Tel Aviv in two weeks, just two days before היום–הולדת שלי (my birthday). זות מתנה גדולה (That is a great gift.)

3. אני יכול לכתוב בעברית עכשיו As you can tell from my second announcement, I'm very pleased to learn (thanks to A.) that I can post in Hebrew as well as English. Not to worry, I promise not to get carried away and to always include translations for those who are even more Hebrew-challenged than me.

4. The Great Passover Chocolate Heist. My friends know how much I like chocolate, but let me assure you I had nothing to do with the theft of 100 tons of chocolate spread from the Hashahar Haoleh factory in Haifa. I am concerned, however, that "there may be a shortage of the legendary chocolate spread on the Passover table" this year. What will I put on my matzah?

From the perspective of the sociology of crime and deviance, I'm intrigued by the successful accomplishment of such an audacious heist. Who did it? How were they able to pull it off? And where did all that chocolate spread go? I'm certain this would make a great story line for the next sequel to
Ocean's Eleven. Have you noticed how Brad Pitt's character is always noshing in those movies? And with such great opportunities for product placement, I'm sure the Hashahar Haoleh factory would be happy to bring George Clooney, Julia Roberts, & Co. to the Land of Milk, Honey, and Chocolate.

להתראות

1 comment:

carly said...

If only I knew how to pronounce those letters I could use your blog to learn Hebrew now! Not that I have any reason to do that, unless I wanted to, say...carry out a chocolate heist. Great news about A. coming to visit!