Friday, February 29, 2008

Three Photos

Here are a few photos I’ve taken recently. The first one is a funny poster hanging on the door of a café on Dizengoff Street where I often go. It’s obviously a parody of the American military recruiting posters from the First World War where a pointing Uncle Sam says “I Want You!” But this version says drushim ovdim, literally “hiring workers” (help wanted). Here it’s workers that Uncle Sam wants, not soldiers. Perhaps he’s assembling an Industrial Reserve Army. I’m probably reading way too much into this poster, but I found the implied analogy between workers and soldiers sociologically interesting.



Here’s some more Americana in Israel: graffiti of Elvis near my apartment building. Elvis haMelech, even here.



And finally here are my friends U. and A.K. and their colleague S., all Israeli sociologists, during a night out on the town. U. is beckoning A. to come to Israel with the promise of a nice cold beer. Let’s hope it works.


No comments: