Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Final grades are in!

Received yesterday in the mail from Tel Aviv University (click on the letter to enlarge it):



It's the report card I've been expecting for my Hebrew class! As you can see, the university informs students of their final grades in Hebrew only, which makes the report card the real test of how much they've learned. Despite some unfamiliar words and bad penmanship (can you believe my chutzpah, chiding sabras for their poor handwriting?), it was not hard to understand the gist of it. In brief, I earned 98% for the intensive four-week ulpan that began in mid-January and 97% in the longer but less intensive follow-up course from February to May. I'm still far from fluent, but I'm reasonably sure those grades are high enough that my colleagues in Wisconsin won't consider revoking my tenure.

1 comment:

A Wisconsin Yankee in King David's Court said...

Blogger JJ said...

Now what I'd really like to know is how long they've been using that form. It just reeks of Israeli bureaucracy, down to the diagonal stamp. Better keep it in your wallet, [Wisconsin Yankee]. Who knows when you'll be asked to prove your Ulpan grade! It's giving me bad memories of offices full of mean secretaries and enormous two-hole punched binders packed with illegible scribbles on strangely shaped paper.
-Joyce (former) Tel Aviv sociology student and Red Sox fan :)

May 30, 2008 5:32 AM